Tummy Tuck, commonly known as Abdominoplasty Surgery, can create a slimmer, more toned abdomen. American Aesthetic Medical Center has a team of Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who has helped many men and women achieve their goal of a flat, sculpted stomach. A healthy diet and regular exercise are not always effective in changing the appearance of your midsection. Pregnancy, aging and weight changes can result in sagging skin, stubborn fatty deposits and abdominal bulging. Abdominoplasty is among the top five cosmetic surgery procedures in the UAE because it tightens the stomach muscles and removes excess skin to restore a toned, youthful look.
Facts You Must Know
Very High Success Rate
A tummy tuck typically begins with an incision made above the pubic area, stretching from hip to hip. Another incision is made to free the navel from surrounding tissue. The skin is then lifted, and the underlying abdominal muscles tightened and pulled taut. Excess skin is removed, and the remainder is re-draped and tightened for a firmer, flatter appearance. The navel is then stitched back into place and the incisions closed.
Tummy tuck surgery can be performed at one of our state-of-the-art, fully equipped new operating rooms.
- Your surgeon will give you specific instructions on how to prepare for surgery, including guidelines on eating and drinking, smoking, and taking or avoiding certain vitamins, and medications.
- If you smoke, plan to quit at least one to two weeks before your surgery and not to resume for at least two weeks after your surgery. Avoid overexposure to the sun before surgery, especially to your abdomen, and do not go on a stringent diet, as both can inhibit your ability to heal. If you develop a cold or infection of any kind, your surgery will probably be postponed.
- Whether your surgery is done on an outpatient or inpatient basis, you should arrange for someone to drive you home after your surgery, and to help you out for a day or two after you leave the hospital, if needed.
- For the first few days, your abdomen will probably be swollen and you’re likely to feel some pain and discomfort which can be controlled by medication. Depending on the extent of the surgery, you may be released within a few hours or you may have to remain hospitalized for two to three days.
- Your doctor will give you instructions for showering and changing your dressings. And though you may not be able to stand straight at first, you should start walking as soon as possible.
- Surface stitches will be removed in five to seven days, and deeper sutures, with ends that protrude through the skin, will come out in two to three weeks. The dressing on your incision may be replaced by a support garment
- It may take you weeks or months to feel like your old self again. If you start out in top physical condition with strong abdominal muscles, recovery from Tummy Tuck will be much faster. Some people return to work after two weeks, while others take three or four weeks to rest and recuperate.
- Exercise will help you heal better. Even people who have never exercised before should begin an exercise program to reduce swelling, lower the chance of blood clots, and tone muscles. Vigorous exercise, however, should be avoided until you can do it comfortably.
- Your scars may actually appear to worsen during the first three to six months as they heal, but this is normal. Expect it to take nine months to a year before your scars flatten out and lighten in color. While they’ll never disappear completely, abdominal scars will not show under most clothing, even under bathing suits.
Before & After
Benefits of Tummy Tuck
- Weight loss – Recent research has shown that patients who undergo a tummy tuck are more likely to keep the weight off.
- Better posture – Your stomach muscles play a huge role in your posture. During a tummy tuck procedure, the doctor will use sutures to tighten the stomach muscles. Not only does this give you a flatter stomach, but it also helps with your posture as well.
- No more stretch marks – Another significant benefit to a tummy tuck is that it can often remove stretch marks since they’re often part of the skin that gets removed.
- Incontinence – Women that have vaginal deliveries can sometimes develop something called stress urinary incontinence (SUI). Women that suffer from SUI will sometimes empty their bladder when they sneeze or cough or even when they exercise.
AAMC is Fantastic!I had a complete tummy tuck and the surgery and recovery was absolutely painless. My recovery was so easy!!! I am so pleased with the results and would recommend anyone thinking of doing this procedure to do it with Dr. Juan!!! Amazing staff too!!!
The process was stress-free!My tummy tuck procedure was very positive. Dr. Ateesh’s pain management plan was so thorough that I felt no pain. His staff clearly explained what to expect and helped to calm my fears. And they are all so friendly! This was probably the best thing I’ve ever done for myself.
Feeling Satisfied With The Results!Everything about my tummy tuck procedure was great! The entire staff was wonderful from consultation to surgery to my last follow up. I loved that my tummy tuck was stainless. I can’t thank Dr. Juan and his staff enough for a great experience.
- The best candidates for Tummy Tuck are men or women who are in relatively good shape but are bothered by a large fat deposit or loose abdominal skin that won’t respond to diet or exercise. The surgery is particularly helpful to women who, through multiple pregnancies, have stretched their abdominal muscles and skin beyond the point where they can return to normal. Loss of skin elasticity in older patients, which frequently occurs with slight obesity, can also be improved.
- Patients who intend to lose a lot of weight should postpone the surgery. Also, women who plan future pregnancies should wait, as vertical muscles in the abdomen that are tightened during surgery can separate again during pregnancy. If you have scarring from previous abdominal surgery, your doctor may recommend against Tummy Tuck or may caution you that scars could be unusually prominent.
- Tummy Tuck can enhance your appearance and your self-confidence, but it won’t necessarily change your looks to match your ideal, or cause other people to treat you differently. Before you decide to have surgery, think carefully about your expectations and discuss them with your surgeon.
Tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, removes excess skin and excess fat, and most often entails the repair of abdominal muscle bulge or separation (diastasis recti).
Yes. Also known as lipoabdominoplasty, liposuction is often used in conjunction with a tummy tuck to sculpt and remove excess fat.
Women that have one or more of the following are ideal candidates for tummy tuck: diastasis recti (abdominal muscle bulge), excess abdominal skin, excess abdominal fat.
The scar is transversely oriented, above the pubic region, and progresses to past each hip bone. There is most often an incision within the umbilicus as well.
Return to work is most often between 10 and 14 days following (full) tummy tuck. For those who do not require a repair of the muscles (diastasis recti), return to work is after approximately 7 days.
You can maintain your tummy tuck results by following a healthy lifestyle.