A blepharoplasty, or eye lift, is a surgical procedure that makes the eyes look more refreshed, awake, large, and youthful. A blepharoplasty can address the upper eyelid (just below the eyebrow), the lower eyelid (the part that looks puffy when you have bags under your eyes), or both. Blepharoplasty is one of the top five most commonly performed plastic surgery procedures in Dubai.
Facts You Must Know
Very High Success Rate
What does Blepharoplasty fix?
A blepharoplasty can fix any or all of the following problems:
- Tired looking eyes
- Drooping eyelids
- Thin, crepe-y or crepe-paper skin of the eyelids
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Puffy bags under the eyes
- Deep tear troughs
- Hooding of the eyelids
- Asian eyelids that lack the upper lid crease
- Prominent crows feet
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications), Vitamin E, herbal supplements or any medications containing these compounds for two weeks before surgery.
- Refrain from smoking two weeks before and two weeks after surgery. Nicotine and tobacco smoke delay healing and can result in scarring. This is the perfect time to give up the habit.
- Avoid sun damage two weeks before surgery. While we recommend wearing a SPF 30 or higher.
- Your prescriptions for after surgery (typically an antibiotic and pain med) will be given to you the day of surgery.
- Do not eat or drink anything, including water, after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Arrange for someone to take you home from the hospital. You will not be allowed to drive or leave alone. Arrange for someone to stay with you for the first 24 hours after surgery
- Iced gauze pads (gauze pads dipped in ice water and wrung out) should be applied to the eyes and cheek for the first 48 hours to minimize swelling and discoloration.
- Keep your head elevated to minimize swelling. A recliner works well or adding an extra pillow on your bed is adequate.
- You may wash your face. You may shower and wash your hair.
- If you have external eyelid incisions, they may be gently cleaned with a Q-tip and half-strength hydrogen peroxide (dilute with water). We will prescribe an antibiotic ointment formulated for eyelid use which should be then applied to the incision 3 times a day after cleaning. Avoid over-the-counter ointments.
- You may wear contact lenses two to three weeks after surgery.
- Avoid extreme physical activity including athletic activities and intercourse. You may resume light walking three days after surgery. Aerobic exercise, weight training, heavy lifting, and straining may be gradually resumed three weeks after surgery.
- Absolutely avoid sun exposure, sun lamps, or tanning beds for six weeks after surgery. Heat may cause your face to swell. While we recommend wearing a SPF 30 or higher.
- Don’t be concerned if the eyes show some swelling – this usually resolves within 2 weeks. In certain patients, it may require six months for all swelling to completely subside.
- Take only medications prescribed by your doctor.
- Makeup may be used 7-10 days after surgery.
Before & After
Benefits of Blepharoplasty
- Restoring a Younger Shape above the Eyes
- Looking More Rested and Alert
- A Boost of Confidence
- More Positive Social Interactions
- An Improved Field of Vision
- Less Time in Front of the Mirror
- Customizable Options
- More Freedom for Cosmetic Creativity
- Great Improvements with Minimal Scarring
- Long-Term Results
Excellent doctor. Great communicatorI had eyelid surgery with Dr. Juan at American Aesthetic Medical Center. We discussed the procedure before the surgery, and the doctor understands what my expectations are. Now 4 months after the surgery, I am very satisfied with the results. Thanks Dr. Juan very much!
A Job Well Done!Dr. Ateesh is an artist, he has so much attention to detail – and obviously that is so very important with any plastic surgery. He and his team have a wonderful bedside manner, they truly care about you, and your goals. I highly recommend Dr. Ateesh! I look so much better!!
One Word - ProfessionalismThe most important reason I am so happy is the result. I am so pleased how better, but natural my eyes look now. It is exactly what I wanted. You would never know I had surgery, but I look so much better. That was my desire and I couldn’t be happier.
Yes. It should be noted that a significant number of men and women of all ages elect to have blepharoplasty to achieve a more youthful look and for more comfortable positioning of the eyelid skin.
After any surgical procedure, some discomfort can be expected. All patients are provided with prescriptions for pain medication. Patients have surprisingly little discomfort after most eyelid procedures. Generally over the counter Tylenol is all patients need (together with ice packs) placed over their eyes for 24 hours. An occasional patient will report unmanageable pain after surgery.
We recognize that scars can be a significant concern for patients, and we are dedicated to providing natural-looking results without noticeable signs of treatment. With eyelid surgery, the incisions are placed in such a way as to minimize their appearance. For upper blepharoplasty, the incision typically is located within the natural crease of the eyelid. For lower blepharoplasty, the incision can be placed along the lower lash line or inside the lower eyelid. The latter technique is known as transconjunctival blepharoplasty and is appropriate only for certain types of patients. Our doctor will help you determine which method is right for your needs and goals.
The scar is transversely oriented, above the pubic region, and progresses to past each hip bone. There is most often an incision within the umbilicus as well.
While your first consideration should be recuperating as fully as possible, we understand you are excited to see the results and return to your normal routine. Most patients can go back to office work and other simple daily activities in a few days to a week. More demanding labor and strenuous exercise should be avoided for a few weeks to a month to allow for optimal healing. Our doctors will provide more specific information during your initial consultation based on your lifestyle and treatment plan.